History

History of the Ajara Chamber of Commerce & Industry

The ACCI is the legal successor to predecessor organizations which were active within Batumi since the late nineteenth century. Elderly Batumians can remember well the three meter long Mercury wand on the façade of the old customs office near the sea port built during the Russian empire, which was regarded as a symbol of the chambers of commerce. It is noteworthy that the Ajara Chamber of Commerce & Industry was placed in the same building for many years before the demolition of the building.

After the revolution of 1917, in the beginning of 1921, commodity exchanges were active in Batumi. Broker-expert bureaus were established within the mentioned commodities exchanges, which were active until May of 1936, when commerce-mediation offices were established in the Soviet Union. The commerce-mediation offices were established for the inspection and grading of goods. This has subsequently become one of the major services provided by Georgian Chambers of Commerce. The establishment of these offices led to the professionalization of commodity grading and inspection in Georgia. According to statistics, 2400 inspections took place in Batumi in 1937, which is impressive considering the time.

After the end of the Second World War, the grading and inspection bureau resumed operations, and on its basis the Ajara branch of the Georgian Chamber of Commerce & Industry was established.

In 1990, the foreign economics firm “Ajaraexternalservice” was founded on the basis of the Ajara branch of the Georgian Chamber of Commerce & Industry. It fulfilled its duties as prescribed by the law on Georgian Chambers of Commerce & Industry. This law was first announced by a Georgian presidential decree in 1995 regarding the function of the chambers of commerce.

Later, The Ajara Chamber of Commerce and Industry was classified as a Legal Entity of Public Law.  The Ajara Chamber of Commerce & Industry was founded on the basis of a statement issued by the Ajara A.R. Government on 16th of July, 2006. Its duties were determined by the law on the Ajara Autonomous Republic’s Chamber of Commerce & Industry.  ACCI is the legal successor of the above mentioned organizations.

The previously mentioned statement was based on the decision of the initiative group meeting held on December 27th of 2005. The initiative group consisted of 115 private and legal entities registered in the Ajara region.

For today, the ACCI is the business entity which on a voluntary basis unites entrepreneurs and various business entities; the main goal of the ACCI is the protection of the business interests of its members in central and local government as well as abroad.